Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Voyage to Lacoste

I arrived in Lacoste on the evening of Monday March 31st, just in time for dinner. It was a lengthy voyage beginning with a 2 and a half hour drive from Kelly's wedding in Alabama to the Atlanta airport and then continuing on a 7 hour plane ride, 3 hour train ride, and 1 hour cab ride which cost 80 euros. I was shocked yet completely unsurprised to find that upon exchanging $500 I received 280 euro. Disappointing. It's amazingly beautiful here. At first the cab ride from Avignon to Lacoste seemed slightly prettier than a ride through upstate New York but once we were deeper into the country side the difference was clear.
I was left at the bottom of a steep hill which I proceeded to hike up with a rolling suitcase, duffel bag, and 2 other fairly large shoulder bags. Luckily I found a SCAD office only about 15 minutes up the way. I got all checked in and was glad to see that my room is lovely. Small, clean, and close to the dinning hall.
We've already started making friends with the locals who all seem to be very nice and used to having SCAD students coming in and out of their village. I don't think I would be as gracious about it. It's been really fun to have a chance to practice my french and they've been very helpful. I think their just glad I'm trying. There is a small white dog at one of the two cafes and his name is Choochoo. Of course we've become fast friends. Thats all for now.







4 comments:

Cliff said...

Dont you hate all the money and time you put in to traveling.

Unknown said...

i love you so much. Your pictures of the town made my heart melt. It seems like a place that we could spend hours gossiping, smoking cigs, and drinking red wine. I want to run away and join you.

Anonymous said...

wow! im so excited for you!! it looks so beautiful there- even your little bed!
love, nagrom

skinner said...

Hey Katy it is Maddie and Daddy. Daddy put some money in your account for you. I hope you are having a lot of fun in France. We miss you a lot and hope to see you soon after you get back.
Love You,
Maddie, Daddy and the rest of the family